A Smooth Move: Essential Tips for Stress-Free House Moving
It can be both exciting and overwhelming to move to a new home. Buying a house is a life-changing experience that presents an opportunity to start again and create new memories. However, if you’re not well organised, moving may also be a stressful and exhausting task.
Transform your relocation into a stress-free moving experience by following our tips.
Start Early with a Moving Checklist
You can stay organised and make sure you don’t forget anything by making a moving checklist. Checking off important tasks often results in a smooth move since you won’t have to spend time trying to remember whether you forgot anything. The following serves as an example.
- Select a moving business or rental truck
- Notify the utility companies of your move
- Pack the necessities that need to stay with you in a separate container
- Change your mailing address with the post office and other important organisations.
- Your previous home should be cleaned and made ready for the new residents.
- Your items should be unpacked and organised at your new home.
Create an Essentials Box
Likewise, if your move requires overnight (or longer) travel, you’ll need to pack suitcases and/or carry-on bags that you can easily access. Regarding the contents, a change of clothes, a toothbrush, a must-have toy or stuffed animal for the kids, medications, important documents, etc., should all be packed into a suitcase or bag that will be carried by you in the car, truck, or aeroplane the night before the transfer.
Make a Moving Folder
Also, you’ll need to gather important items in a new folder, including new addresses, documents related to rentals or purchases, contracts related to moves, and more. Consider making both a paper copy and a digital one in case your phone or computer batteries die, or service becomes patchy while travelling.
Enlist Professional Movers
In many cases you might lean towards doing everything on your own to save money. However, hiring professional movers could guarantee a more stress-free house moving experience. If you decide to choose this path, make sure you pick a reputable, experienced business.
Furniture Wrapping and Protection
One of your top concerns should be to protect your furnishings. The first step is to compile the required packing supplies, which may include:
- Bubble Wrap
- Mattress and sofa covers
- Stretchable plastic wrap
- Plastic bags with seals
- Sheets of corrugated cardboard
Additional crucial considerations consist of:
- Before wrapping the furniture, quickly clean it off with a microfiber cloth to remove any dust or other loose debris.
- When feasible, disassemble furniture.
- Make sure to wrap any furniture. The two best packing materials are bubble wrap and plastic sheeting. If you don’t have any plastic sheeting, you can use old blankets.
- Plan your positioning carefully to ensure that your furniture is transported without damage.
Some advice that will help you have a stress-free house move when you start packing up your former home includes the following tips:
- Pack all the items you use infrequently first.
- Place filled boxes such that the final goods in the vehicle are the ones that are least used.
- For each room in the new home, create labels with different colours.
- Ask your movers to place the boxes in the middle of the space.
- Use those coloured labels to label the top, the short side, and the long side of each box, as well as its two sides.
- Keep a list and container of the screws and other components you need to disassemble furniture.
Moving requires planning and time. Nonetheless, the easiest way to ensure a seamless transfer is to plan (by approximately a week) so that you have enough time. We promise that if you stick to our advice, your relocation will go much more smoothly.